General Skilled Migration Visa
Australia has required skilled immigrants since the birth of the country. The recent research also shows that Australian economy cannot be sustained without influx of skilled persons from overseas countries. GSM program is designed for relatively young people who have skills in demand in Australia.
General Skilled Migration (GSM) requires all applicants to meet certain basic or ‘threshold’ criteria:
• skills assessment in a nominated occupation on the appropriate Skilled Occupations List
• age: in general, main applicants must be aged between 18 and 49
• English language ability: most applicants will need to sit for formal English language testing
• applicants will need to lodge an Expression of Interest using SkillSelect and be invited to apply for a visa, before they can lodge their GSM application
• in certain cases completion of one or more suitable qualifications after at least two years of study in Australia
• applicants may be sponsored by an Australian state. Each state has its own occupation list and criteria
Most GSM subclasses also require the applicant to meet the applicable pass mark in the GSM points test, and for this reason GSM visas are often referred to as ‘points tested’ visas.